Sunday, 27 February 2011

Day Eight

I must begin with humble apologies. First for ignoring my blog readers for 2 whole days and second for covering my blog page with adverts (feel free to click on as many as you like - I've only made 54p so far!!!)

So, time to redeem myself if I can...

We really did have friends over so that kind of stopped any posting. It is one thing ignoring your family by tapping away on the laptop but a whole new world of rudeness to do it when friends are there. You can always tell a comfy relationship, when both are on their phones in a restaurant. There have been times when Ade (my husband) and I are both sitting up in bed, clicking away on a laptop - there is a tempation to send an email to one another, 'make me a cup of tea you geek,' that kind of thing.

Yesterday was a whole day of writing. It was the second (and last boo, hoo) tutorial day for the Creative Writing course I told you about. It might be some peoples idea of hell - but for insipiring writers it is utter bliss. Being surrounded by like minded people, getting stuck into all kinds of useful, thought provoking exercises, talking techniques, practising different styles and prompting ideas for future pieces. There is nothing lonlier than being a writer and to be in a room full of others all with the same crazy dream - well it is like swimming in Willy Wonker's chocolate river.

So I gorged on chocolate yesterday! I have come to realise that although it was really hard, learning about poetry has really improved my prose writing. Particularly using imagery. I have even bought Roger McGoughs latest collection and am enjoying reading it!

We are moving onto Life Writing so I am finishing a Bill Bryson (A Walk in the Woods) and have picked up some other titles to read to help with this. That is certainly the best advice for improving your writing - read, read, then read some more!

Until tomorrow, Cam x

2 comments:

  1. From a fellow chocolate-lover who was in the room with you on Saturday, I was so impressed with the short piece you wrote about the Name - to have knocked a brilliant piece of prose like that off in 30 minutes was awesome! I'm full of admiration for you Cam - and not a little bit jealous ;-) Keep it up - your dreams will come true!! Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastically supportive comment and REALLY appreciated. Back at ya Helen! Cam x

    ReplyDelete